Your browser is outdated!
To ensure you have the best experience and security possible, update your browser. Update now
Currently London based leading a global Humanitarian and Stabilisation team. Prior to this I spent 11 years in East Africa and the Middle East running large scale emergency responses and building country programmes.
I have a deep passion for development and a core belief in the ability to make a difference. These are my primary drivers for the work I do and result in me being highly motivated and driven to effect change where change is needed.
My career has spanned the full spectrum of humanitarian response to long term development: however, I believe that these traditional divides are no longer relevant in todays context where 80% of the conflicts are protracted crisis. For a number of years I have been an advocate of designing strategic, and operational approaches which have fluidity between multiple strands running in parallel, such as humanitarian response, recovery and resilience in order to meet the needs in the changing development landscape.
to October 2006
- Programme Development - I was working with local development companies, community groups/networks and State bodies to develop inclusive programmes to address underlying issues facing disadvantaged communicties. I also trained staff in implementing these programmes.
- Training & Facilitation - I trained boards of management, regional network directors, staff, community groups in programme design/implementation, models of equality policy/proofing; proposal writing; conflict resolution; strategic planning; gender mainstreaming; training of trainers.
- Evaluations – I conducted independent evaluations for government funded programmes to tackle unemployment in disadvantaged areas.
- Programme Advisor - I advised local development companies on staff development and training, management structures, strategic planning, financial control, performance monitoring, and evaluation.
- Reasearch – I conducted feasibility studies for programmes such as an accessible transport project for people with disabilities in Ireland.
- Community Development – I was working with voluntary management committees to develop strategic plans and budgets. Those were then submitted to the Irish Government for inclusion in the National Community Development Programme. I also developed methods of good practise for project management.
- Capacity Building of staff, management committees, community groups, boards of management.
- Contributed to professionalize the implementation of local economic development programmes through staff training, systems and procedures for programme design, implementation and evaluation.
A freelance consultant working for EU and Irish Government development agencies.